How to Report Animal Abuse

If you witness suspected cruelty to animals, call your local animal control agency as soon as possible or dial 9-1-1 if you’re unfamiliar with local organizations. If you make a report of alleged animal cruelty, the responding agency is required to investigate.

If your area lacks the proper animal welfare agency and your local authorities are not equipped to deal with animal cruelty cases, you can also the Humane Society of the United States. Be sure to document the case as well as you can with dates, times, specific details and, if possible, footage and photographs from a cell phone. All of these things can help appropriate agencies during any investigation they may do of the suspected cruelty.

Animal Service Dispatch in Alexandria: (703) 746-4444

Humane Law Enforcement Department Arlington: (202) 723-5730

FairFax County Animal Protection Police: (703) 691-2131

The City of Fairfax Animal Control: (703) 691-2131 

Falls Church Animal Control: (703) 241-5050

Gaithersburg Animal Control: (301) 258-6343

Loudoun County Animal Services: (703) 777-1021

Manassas City Animal Control: (703) 257-2420

Prince Williams County Animal Control: (703) 792-6465

Vienna Animal Control: (703) 255-6377